Game of Thrones season 5 may still be in full swing on HBO at the moment, but that doesn't mean they're not sending out their three-eyed ravens and faceless men to locate some new faces to round out the cast of season 6.
The Watchers on the Wall, a Game of Thrones fan site that regularly posts breaking news released the descriptions of new characters. Apparently, HBO are looking for:
- Pirate, man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s “an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness.” He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season
For anyone who has read the books, this immediately brings to mind Euron Crow's eye Greyjoy. Euron is Theon's uncle and, well, an infamous pirate.
- Father. Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline.
- Mother, in her 50’s. She’s a sweet, plump, and adoring mother, and has a soft spot for one of her children who benefits from her decency.
- Sister, in her early 20s. She’s a kind, friendly and unpretentious woman.
- Brother, in his early to mid-20’s . Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father.
Based on the father's description, this would appear to be describing Randyll Tarly, Sam's father. You may remember Sam talking about him in season 1, when he reveals he joined the Night's Watch because his father was going to kill him if he didn't.
- Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.
This sounds like it could be Septon Meribald, though saying any more could be considered spoiler territory.
- Leading Actress, in her early 40’s, she’s an elegant actress with a traveling theatre company. Fun, charismatic, rum-drinking actress in the troupe.
- Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.
- Fierce Warrior, a tall man in 30’s or 40’s with a powerful physique. They’re looking for someone with “mixed ethnicity” for the role.
- A large boy, with an actor who is 10-12 but playing 7 or 8. He’s described as “a clever boy” who seems too large for his age. He’s big and tall but not fat. “Characterful squat features” are a plus for this part. it’s specified that this is a one-time appearance.
- 12 year old boy, with brown hair and blue eyes. He needs to use a Northern accent. He has scenes where he has to spar with a wooden sword.
The length of the role isn’t specified.
- 7 year old boy with dark brown hair, a narrow face and green eyes. He also has a Northern accent. He also spars with the wooden sword, so it’s safe to assume it’s the same scene. This role is similarly open-ended, the description only stating that the character is being ‘introduced.’
These characters are all up in the air, nothing suggests they're characters from the books but that doesn't mean they aren't. They could also easily be characters written specifically for the show, or younger versions of characters that we see in another flashback.