PORSCHE 356Classic Car
The first 49 Porsches were built in Gmünd, Austria, and though historically important, these underpowered 1100cc cars are best left to collectors. Production proper started at Stuttgart in 1950, with steel bodies. The first year it was all coupés, then cabriolets arrived in 1951, though in sales they were usually outnumbered by coupés about 4:1. Two-piece screens were fitted until April 1952, after which they were one-piece with a bend in the centre. Engine options soon grew to 1100, 1300 and 1500. ‘S’ version of the latter rated up to 72bhp, but were complex and short-lived.