FORD PrefectClassic Car
When launched in 1938 the Prefect was the first Ford to have a name rather than a number/letter designation. However, despite this radical move the car was little more than a mechanical update of the previous 7W but with a bulkier body and rear-hinged bonnet. Updates were few – in 1948 the headlamps were incorporated into the front wings and a taller grille was adopted. The 31bhp 1172cc sidevalve engine persisted until the end of production in 1953, by which time the Prefect seemed old-fashioned compared with its competition.