The next chapter in Sid Meier's Civilization series has been announced by 2K Games and Firaxis. We've reached Civilization VI and it's changing up the formula once again.
This new more colourful vision for the Civilization series is taking great effort it seems from the released images so far, to make sprawling cities more pleasing to the eye with settlements actually spreading out further as they grow.
"The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special." - Ed Beach, leader designer at Firaxis Games
Active research is another newer area for the strategy game, where units in the field can actively help you pursue breakthroughs. Exploring more and learning of other cultures will boost your own technological advancements too.
Combat is changing with units now able to attach in a supporting role, like artillery helping our infantry. Similar units can also combine to form 'Corps' units that get even more advantages. No more limits imposed by the 'one unit per tile' rule.
• EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
• ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
• DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
• COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
• ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
• A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Sid Meier's Civilization VI will be released on PC October 21st, 2016.