More practical than the RMC Roadster was the four-seater RMD. Introduced at the same time as the RMC, this elegant drophead coupé would turn out to be the final open-top car to wear the Riley name, aside from the specially-converted Elf convertibles of the 1960s. The RMD kept much the same lines as the RMB, so no fold-flat one-piece windscreen or enlarged boot. It did have distinctive grab irons on its hood though. Production continued one year past the RMC until 1951 but, by the end of its three year life, only 502 had found homes.